Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Become a Sprout Farmer In a Kitchen Window?


I'm a bargain shopper.  Always have been, always will be.  At first I started hunting down bargains for purely economical reasons.  Then, once I kept on snagging those bargains faster than I could reel them in, I became hooked.  Did you know that studies have shown that finding a good bargain releases very similar chemicals to those that are released when falling in love? Yes, it's true. These days, my reasons for bargain shopping have evolved into a combo of, I would say an eco-econ reasoning( meaning ecologically and economically).  I take pride in knowing that we are doing our part to purchase second hand, or recycled items whenever possible.  Not only does it save you money, but you are helping to create a world that will likely be much more pleasant than its alternative. 
Below, I demonstrate how to easily grow sprouts.  You can use broccoli, radish, clover, etc.  I used radish and mong.  Keep in mind that my kitchen window does not get direct sunlight.  As long as some light filters through, that is all you need.


Cut a circle out of screen door mesh the size of your jar lid.
Before I trimmed the edges.
Here are some examples of what the mason jar looks like once the mesh is fitted.

Fill the mason jar with 1/4 cup of seed and let soak in water (half full) for 8 hours.  Empty water.  Fill jar with water again and swirl around.  Pour out all water and let jar sit at a 45 degree angle for another day.  Do this for three days.  On the fourth day, fill and rinse seeds.  Let sit in a very sunny window, or outside.  That's it!  Now you can reap what you have sewn.
Simple and easy sprouts!  You too can be a kitchen window sprout farmer *winks*


1 comment:

  1. My sentiments exactly. Buy used things, repair things, shop for quality used items, recycle, use it up. Not only does this make good sense, it is the moral choice. Good for the pocketbook and good for the planet, and good for those that come after us.

    It costs pennies to grow your own sprouts. If space allows, growing your own organic veggies and fruit is way cheaper than store-bought.

    Morgan, you are always on the right track. I also love your blog:

    marthaandmorgan.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete